Home    About Me    Goodreads    Bloglovin   YouTube    Twitter

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Birchbox March 2011 Review.




This month I received my first Birchbox.  If you don't know what Birchbox is, I'll give you a brief explanation.  It is a monthly subscription ($10/mo or $110/yr) which allows you to receive a box of samples ranging from high end beauty products to other cool items like tea and chocolate.  The box typically ships on the 10th of each month via USPS, but I think that might vary depending on your city.  Once you receive the samples, Birchbox has a system where you give them feedback on each product for "Loyalty Points."  Every 100 "Loyalty Points" equals a $10 credit toward their shop, which features full size products.  Another thing worth mentioning is that every person receives a slightly different box because Birchbox asks you to fill out a beauty profile when you sign up.

Here is the video I filmed last week when I received my Birchbox



I've had a week to review the products and get a feel for them.  I've already given Birchbox my feedback, so I'll share how I feel about these items with you guys as well!

On a side note, if you decide that you want to sign up for Birchbox just go to their website:
www.birchbox.com

Or, I would greatly appreciate it if you would allow me to refer you to Birchbox (it gives me loyalty points)  Just send your email address to me at cupcakegel@gmail.com or if you feel comfortable, post it as a comment on here.

Here are the products:

Pomega5 Daily Revitalizing Concentrate, 30-Ampoules
Pomega5 Daily Revitalizing Concentrate: (full size $48)
These tiny capsules are full of oil that is meant to be used right after you wash your face in the morning and evening.  The directions say to pat oil on face and it will dry matte, not oily.  I found that one capsule lasted a full day because there is so much product in them.  I only wore this under my makeup once and found that although it was moisturizing, it did feel a bit too oily for me.  So, I only applied it at night and I LOVE the way my face felt in the morning.  This is definitely helped my face feel refreshed after all of the winter dryness it has been through these past few months.

Marvis Toothpaste, Classic Strong Mint 3.86 oz (75 ml)

Marvis Classic Mint Toothpaste:  (full size $10.50)
First of all, this toothpaste is made in Italy, which automatically gives it a novelty/exotic feel.  The packaging is great, the size is perfect for travel.  I used it the very first night I got my Birchbox.  My overall opinion is that the taste is great (a normal mint flavor, minus the bitter taste that my normal whitening toothpaste has).  But, there was nothing extra special about it.  So, although this is a really cute product, I probably will not purchase the full size.  Instead, I will take it on vacations with me and impress people with the fact that my travel toothpaste is from Italy and not boring old Colgate or Crest!

Italian Red Mandarin with Rose Lip Balm
Pangea Organics Lip Balm: (full size $12)
This product was one of the most impressive in the March Birchbox.  It is full size (.25 oz), which I appreciated greatly!  I am such a sucker for lip balms... I love to wear them alone or as a base for my lip gloss or lip stick to soften my lips.  This particular lip balm is the "Italian Red Mandarin with Rose" scent.  The packaging is very nice and explains a lot about the product.  I am also very impressed with the list of ingredients, which are all basically natural items (meaning I can pronounce everything in it!)  At first, the scent reminded me of lemon cough drops, but after using it continuously it just smells like plain citrus to me.  I am quite fond it lemony/orange smells, so overall I really like this product and would purchase another in the future.

Pangea Organics Facial Scrub - Egyptian Geranium with Adzuki Bean & Cranberry, 3.8 oz

Pangea Organics Egyptian Geranium Scrub: (full size $32)
This item came as an extra with the lip balm.  The sample was packaged in a one time use foil package.  I found that it is a great exfoliate, but it is comparable to a St. Ives scrub which is significantly less money.

Befine Night Cream With Cocoa Millet & Rice Bran 1.7 oz.

Befine Night Cream: (full size $30)
This product is my absolute favorite out of everything in the box.  It is a very light night cream made of cocoa and rice bran.  At first I thought it was completely unscented, but after a multiple uses, I smell somewhat of a sweet/bitter (if that's even possible) smell each time I apply it.  I love the way my skin feels immediately after putting it on my face and neck.  In the long run, this moisturizer is supposed to make your skin extra glowy and healthy.  The sample size is great, but I wish I had more.  I'm definitely going to look into their other products and I hope to receive more samples from their line in future boxes.

I can't wait to get my April Birchbox!  I'm excited for the surprises that await me all wrapped up in hot pink tissue paper.  I also have to say a great big thank you to all of the YouTubers who posted Birchbox hauls... otherwise I never would have heard about this amazing company!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I've heard great things about Birchbox, I'm hoping to sign up once I find a job, I just can't validate the expense (even at only $10/month) when I don't have one. I love that you're reviewing things. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete