Home    About Me    Goodreads    Bloglovin   YouTube    Twitter

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Already Homesick.

I really wanted to post some coherent blog posts about what I'm doing in Korea, but I just can't seem to.  I'm either too tired, too busy or too homesick (already!).

The one thing I have been able to do is take plenty of pictures and videos.

I expected the culture to be different here, but I did not expect it to be THIS different.  My host mom speaks some English and is using me as a tool to learn more, which is fine.  But, she also says some very blunt and inappropriate things to me at times (by American standards).

For example, today she told me that I looked fat in the pictures I sent before I came to Korea, but in person I am skinny.  She has also told me multiple times that pictures of me are not pretty at all... but I am pretty in person.  I'm not sure how to take that.  Along with that, she has said that I have no talents because none of my "hobbies" include playing an instrument, singing or whatever else is considered a decent hobby in Korea.  She also keeps comparing me to her daughter who is studying English in Australia which is very frustrating.  

She is very conservative and I really have not gotten to know her son very well yet.  All I know is that he likes to drink and ride horses.   But, he does not like to play video games.

My host mom's husband works all during the week and usually comes home on Saturday nights.  I am really nervous to meet him.  He only stays for one day and then returns to work on Monday morning.  I'm still not sure what he does, but she said that his job is 2 hours away.

It's only day 4-ish here and I really miss my other friends here (trying to coordinate to see them is a hassle and our host parents keep telling us we can't go out with each other).  I especially miss Nick, the cats and our bed (I swear my bed here is made of solid wood with a thin comforter over it).

I know that this is all a part of the experience and Korea seems really interesting and beautiful.  But, I know that by the end of these 5 weeks I will be extremely happy to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment